AMLO denies expropriating Grupo México; proposed payment of $9.5 billion, affirms

Tuesday 23 May, 2023
7 mins read

 

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador affirmed that his Government did not expropriate railways from Grupo México, but that a concession from the Nation was recovered, in addition to the fact that said company claimed that his administration would pay 9.5 billion pesos.

During his morning press conference, he said it would depend on the attitude of the company if the measure was permanent. Likewise, he indicated that he tried to speak with Germán Larrea Mota Velasco about the issue and thought that an understanding had been reached.

“This was considered national security, everything and suddenly they make a change and leave it as national security only from Salina Cruz to Medias Aguas. And how was that, how is it not going to be national security from Coatzacoalcos to Salina Cruz? If it is from port to port, ”she complained.

“So, here Grupo México has, for this reason, a concession, because they say ‘it was expropriated’, what is expropriated? What is private property, it is very different to recover a concession that belongs to the Nation […] It depends on the attitude of the company [si la ocupación era permanente]”, answered.

“Shall I talk about this with Germán Larrea?” a reporter asked him. “Yes, I am going to tell you about everything because there is nothing to hide, nothing, the agreement was already in place to recover the road and, about a month or two months before, a group of businessmen was invited, who spoke with them periodically, to a food, and it turned out that he confirmed that he was going to be at lunch the day we were going to sign, that I was going to sign the decree,” the President narrated.

“Then I told the Secretary of the Interior [Adán Augusto López Hernandez]: ‘no, no, no, no, this is not possible, that is, it is not in good taste, or rather, it is in bad taste, how is he going to come to eat and that day the decree is made known? ‘, No,” López Obrador continued.

Also, I want to talk to him. [Larrea Mota Velasco], to see if an agreement is reached. And that day he stopped and I talked to him, and ‘no, no, no, no, no, we understand each other, but I want to talk, when? When you say, tomorrow’. The day after lunch, we go to breakfast and I’m left with the idea that there was no longer going to be a problem, ‘yes, yes, yes, yes, we manage,’” he said in his story.

“Then I asked the Secretary of the Interior, because I ate with him, the Secretary of the Treasury [Rogelio Ramírez de la O] and the Secretary of the Interior. So we already reached an agreement, the only thing I want is the return of this concession section, ”he indicated.

“They let themselves be advised by lawyers or expert advisors who give bad advice and come up with a proposal that they wanted us to pay them 9.5 billion pesos, because that is no longer possible, not even at a fair price, but rather an abuse,” he said.

THE TAKING OF FERROSUR WILL CAUSE DETERIORATION IN THE COMPANY AND THE FREE MARKET, ACCUSES GRUPO MÉXICO

Grupo México Transportes reported that it would continue in negotiations with the federal government in search of a solution that adheres to the law and is viable for both parties.

Through a statement issued on Sunday, the company explained that it was continuing in dialogue with federal authorities regarding the recovery of the concession for the railway section that goes from Coatzacoalcos to Medias Aguas.

The company assured that if an agreement is not reached in the negotiation, the temporary occupation would become definitive, deteriorating the company, its employees, customers, and the free market in México.

Likewise, Grupo México recalled that at the beginning of 2022, it signed an agreement with the secretariats of the Interior, as well as that of Infrastructure, Communications and Transportation, which contemplated the construction of a second road with operational independence, which would be delivered to Semar for use of the Tehuantepec Isthmus Railroad.

“After the signing of said agreement, Grupo México Transportes immediately began the construction works of that second road and made expenses of several hundred million pesos. The total cost of the project would be covered by applying the royalties paid by the company year after year. Unfortunately, the agreement was scrapped by the government months later,” the company said.

The company pointed out that since then it had been looking for a new agreement with the federal authorities and that the negotiations were still ongoing to address the concerns of the Government of México, without the company failing in its fiduciary obligations with its shareholders, nor affect your customers and employees.

“Currently the negotiation faces a difficult circumstance due to the publication of the occupation decree and the intervention of armed personnel in its facilities. Throughout this process, it has been exposed, among other aspects, that the State railway company already had the right of way over the section in question,” said Grupo México.

However, the company explained that the federal government’s insistence that SEMAR dispose of the concession implied that said institution was responsible for the care and operation of the road, as well as the yards. In addition to that it should guarantee, at all times, the essential conditions of maximum security required for the movement of hazardous materials and chemical substances, among other products.

Grupo México reiterated that while said negotiation process was underway, the military action carried out by elements of Semar was surprising and unusual, despite the fact that the firm continued to talk to find a solution within the framework of the rule of law and viable for the parts.

AMLO’S GOVERNMENT PUT INVESTMENT AT RISK, ALERTS THE BUSINESS COORDINATING COUNCIL

The seizure of the Ferrosur tracks by the federal government was negative and put investment at risk, said the Business Coordinating Council, made up of 12 large organizations: the Confederation of Industrial Chambers, the Confederation of National Chambers of Commerce, Services and Tourism, the Employers Confederation of the Mexican Republic, and the Association of Banks of México.

As well as by the Mexican Business Council, the National Agricultural Council, the Mexican Association of Insurance Institutions, the National Chamber of Commerce, Services and Tourism of México City, the National Chamber of the Transformation Industry.

In addition to the Mexican Association of Stock Market Institutions, the Mexican Business Council for Foreign Trade, Investment and Technology, and the National Association of Self-Service and Department Stores.

The business organization expressed, in a statement, its concern about the decree that declares of public utility various railway activities that were concessioned to the private sector and that passed in favor of the parastatal Ferrocarril del Istmo de Tehuantepec.

“Beyond the controversial legality of said decree, businessmen express our deep concern about the negative effects that this type of decision generates in the confidence of investing in México and creating jobs at a time of great opportunities,” said the CCE.

The CCE, chaired by Francisco Cervantes Díaz, maintained that it had expressed its full willingness to dialogue with the Government of México and build the best options that would trigger national development.

“Our interest in participating in the much-needed boost project to the south of the country has even been emphatic. Maintaining dialogue and legal certainty between businessmen and the Government is a necessary condition to maintain a good rate of investment, employment and growth for the benefit of all”, added the CCE.

“WE ARE NOT EXPROPRIATING ANYTHING”, ADÁN AUGUSTO SAYS ABOUT FERROSUR

Adán Augusto López Hernández, Secretary of the Interior (SEGOB), reported on Saturday that the occupation of the Ferrosur tracks in Veracruz by elements of Semar was a temporary measure and denied that it is an expropriation of the business conglomerate Grupo México . He also insisted that it was done for a national security issue.

“I clarify, we are not expropriating anything, it is a temporary occupation, as stated in the decree, that is not synonymous with expropriation,” he said during a conference in Ciudad de Victoria, during a work tour of Durango.

“There were certainly conversations with Grupo México regarding that section, there was no agreement and legally, the two parties, let’s say, are free to exercise their rights. We do not rule out that there will be an agreement very soon and we can already pass that section in favor of the Mexican State, but that will surely be discussed with the company, ”he explained.

López Hernández explained that in 1998, a concession for the operation of the railway from México City to Coatzacoalcos was granted to the company Ferrosur or Ferromex of Grupo México, in a section of approximately 117 kilometers, made up of 3 interconnections with what is currently it is known as the Trans-Isthmic Corridor, which starts in Salina Cruz, Oaxaca and is expected to end in Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz.

“For the federal government, it is a matter of national security and for this reason it was decided to intervene in a legal scheme, a temporary occupation scheme to be the Secretary of the Navy, through a company called the Tehuantepec Isthmus Concessionaire or something like that. so that the entire Trans-Isthmic Corridor can now operate in its entirety, but that is part of a legal scheme that the federal government has and in that sense it acted,” he said, who also justified that it was classified as national security, due to its commercial relevance and because it passes through military operation centers.

“It is of national security because, as I already told you, first, it is the connection between the Pacific Ocean and the Gulf of México. It is strategic, all the fuels, all the merchandise, all the supplies for the southeast of the country pass through there. Without that section, the railway would be practically isolated and in case you do not remember, the main project of this Administration is that there be no territorial, physical, legal, or social separation between the north, the center and the south of the country,” said López Hernández.

“That is why it is a matter of national security because there are the Ixtepec military bases, the Salina Cruz naval base, Coatzacoalcos, the Chontalpa station and from there intelligence work is carried out to safeguard Mexican airspace,” he added.

Source link

Source: from Noroeste Nacional on 2023-05-22 10:17:43

Latest News

Culiacán City Council adds 5 calls for paving

CULIACÁN._ The Culiacán City Council added 5 new calls for bidding for paving the city’s streets, in which the neighborhoods of La Conquista, Amistad and Gustavo Díaz Ordaz stand out. According

Don't Miss